[aklug] Re: Drupal :: the real linux test

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Oct 12 2012 - 11:27:24 AKDT

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, Tim Johnson wrote:

> My research shows that php can do system calls, so that one could
> employ python or perl scripts as a back door. I'm still interested
> in the delivery of content directly to a drupal site from a
> non-PHP URL. However, if I do dig into drupal (and I probably
> will), I will find that out for myself with some testing.

How PHP executes system calls is extraordinarily insecure, since it treats
all calls as strings that need to be filtered through an actual shell.
What's worse is that rather than give you a relatively safer method of
calling, say, execvp(3), they insist you manually sanitize the strings with
things like escapeshellcmd() and escapeshellarg(). Your backdoor might get
more traffic than you intended.

Tread carefully.

PHP'ers: if my understanding is out of date, please correct me.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die