[aklug] Re: Drupal :: the real linux test

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Fri Oct 12 2012 - 11:09:54 AKDT

* Marc Grober <marc@interak.com> [121012 10:53]:
> On 10/12/12 10:08 AM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, Marc Grober wrote:
<...> >
> > As Tim mentions, he has a considerable investment in his own tools, he
> > shouldn't be forced to abandon them just to use a new tool, and the UNIX
> > way would never demand that.
>
> I think you mistake what I am saying. The essentials in drupal are all
> flat files that are used to manipulate a database. Drupal is a
> collection of scripts. This is very much unix. The files employed are
> easily manipulated to produce a result that is arguably greater than the
> energy employed to produce it. There are entire backup and restore
> packages built on basic unix utilities and some perl goue; are you
> saying that these are un-unixlike? I can write a web server in
> expect.... why would I if I have a better tool. I can call a perl
> script from a Drupal script, but if the php does it just as well, why
> bother. And if the php is not to your liking, then don;t invest in a set
> of php scripts, lol.

  My research shows that php can do system calls, so that one could
  employ python or perl scripts as a back door. I'm still interested
  in the delivery of content directly to a drupal site from a
  non-PHP URL. However, if I do dig into drupal (and I probably
  will), I will find that out for myself with some testing.

  Even if I end up never using drupal, I think I'm going to learn a
  lot from it that could contribute to my own CMS or something like
  django-cms for that matter.

  Furthermore, python is a good prototyping language. Tools that I
  might have in python not available in PHP (should such a need
  arise) could be easy to re-invent as hooks in PHP. And I will keep
  that veekun site open as I write. :)

  BTW: All criticisms of PHP and/or drupal aside, you drupal folks
  deserve some kudos for your restraint in the face of said
  criticisms. (and in my book, that's classy)

 cheers

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com