[aklug] Re: Drupal :: the real linux test

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Oct 12 2012 - 11:11:11 AKDT

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, Marc Grober wrote:

> I think you mistake what I am saying. The essentials in drupal are all
> flat files that are used to manipulate a database. Drupal is a
> collection of scripts. This is very much unix. The files employed are
> easily manipulated to produce a result that is arguably greater than the
> energy employed to produce it. There are entire backup and restore
> packages built on basic unix utilities and some perl goue; are you
> saying that these are un-unixlike? I can write a web server in
> expect.... why would I if I have a better tool. I can call a perl
> script from a Drupal script, but if the php does it just as well, why
> bother. And if the php is not to your liking, then don;t invest in a set
> of php scripts, lol.

I think you're missing the point: whether or not drupal is a hodgepodge of
scripts in a psuedo-UNIX fashion is not the issue. The issue is whether
drupal, as a tool, works well and easily with other tools outside of its own
code base.

To wit: if drupal operates effectively as a monolithic application that can
only operate within its own narrowly defined ecosystem, regardless of how
it's constructed internally, it doesn't conform to the UNIX philosophy. If,
on the other hand, it allows for various internal scripts to be replaced as
individual components, or supports call-outs to external scripts as part of
the process workflow agnostically, then it can be considered conforming.

That's where your practical experience can be very educational for the rest
of us. Does it support working with external tools?

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die