[aklug] Re: Linux/Drupal/PHP/Latest LJ

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 07:43:15 AKDT

* Jason McEachen <jason@brightshinyobject.com> [121011 07:11]:
> As someone who pays the bills doing Drupal development (I worked on the
> drupal port of AlaskaDispatch.com among other projects), now that you
> mention it there are some interesting comparisons to draw between the two:

  Cool.

> used to require a lot of technical know-how, but now much easier to work
> with
> fast growing user and support community

  The forum at drupal.com has a lot of activity, and I have been
  registered with it for 2 years or more, but I find that lack of
  email notification to be 1)Annoying and 2)Primitive.

  Can you recommend other support venues?

> much bigger than it needs to be for ease of use, but you can still run a
> stripped down version if you know how
> many different flavors to install (distros), depending on what you want
> both corporate paid and community support
> people complaining "but I learned to use (blah), and this is nothing
> like it"
> not an "out of the box, does everything just like you want" solution, no
> matter what your [relationship] told you
>
> Like Damien pointed out, there is definitely a steeper learning curve to
> it than your other CMSs. What makes me happy is that once you wrap your
> head around how it does stuff (which does change between major versions)
> there's a lot you can do pretty easily, and there's a huge world of
> user-contributed code to start from and IRC channels for help*

  Steeper learner curve is not a problem if the tradeoff is
  productivity and fun of usage. I.E. vim vs. notepad.

  To be truthful, drupal has been at the back of my mind for some
  time - I have the Hard Cover "Using Drupal" - Pub. 2009, since
  2010. Just got the manual and the module books by Ipswich for my
  Kindle and I'm going to get a jumpstart on drush. Being a CLI kind
  of fellow, drush is attractive to me.

  Glad to see that there are a couple of drupalers on this LUG.
  I can learn PHP. Some pythonists and perlmonks tend to dis PHP,
  but this pythonist doesn't. Programming is programming.

  Thank you and thanks damien. Thanks Marc.

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com