[aklug] Re: Linux/Drupal/PHP/Latest LJ

From: Jason McEachen <jason@brightshinyobject.com>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 19:14:10 AKDT

As someone who pays the bills doing Drupal development (I worked on the
drupal port of AlaskaDispatch.com among other projects), now that you
mention it there are some interesting comparisons to draw between the two:

used to require a lot of technical know-how, but now much easier to work
with
fast growing user and support community
much bigger than it needs to be for ease of use, but you can still run a
stripped down version if you know how
many different flavors to install (distros), depending on what you want
both corporate paid and community support
people complaining "but I learned to use (blah), and this is nothing
like it"
not an "out of the box, does everything just like you want" solution, no
matter what your [relationship] told you

Like Damien pointed out, there is definitely a steeper learning curve to
it than your other CMSs. What makes me happy is that once you wrap your
head around how it does stuff (which does change between major versions)
there's a lot you can do pretty easily, and there's a huge world of
user-contributed code to start from and IRC channels for help*

--Jason
* help varies by who happens to be on when you ask the question, and
whatever else the channel is doing at that moment. results may vary.
no assembly required, but knowledge of php helps a lot.