[aklug] Re: IPv6 benefits me...

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2012 - 15:11:35 AKDT

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Leif Sawyer wrote:

> Actually, what's being discussed within the CableLabs area
> is -multiple- IPv6 networks for the home.
>
> It requires the support of new CPE devices, of course, but the
> only way to get around the zero-NAT on IPv6 is to provide
> enough address space to deal with multiple levels of networks
> within the home. =20

Ah, and there's the rub. I have to assume ISP-managed CPE, right? Any, eh,
filtering capabilities on those things? Say, to prevent people from hosting
their own services?

> There are a lot of caveats and a lot of work to do with this
> proposal, so I won't spend any time trying to summarize.

I appreciate you volunteering what you have. You'll have to let us know
when a decision is made.

> Most likely, though, folks will get at least 4-bits worth
> of netspace to play with at home, when all is said and done.

Really? That's sixteen networks. I'm surprised they'd go more than two.
From a consumer offering perspective, I can't imagine why the average
customer would need more. Heck, I'm only running four networks at home now,
and that's only because of my level of paranoia, which isn't the norm (but
mark my words: it should be ;-)...

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die