[aklug] Re: IPv6 benefits me...

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2012 - 14:48:54 AKDT

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:

> No it wouldn't and it is not the default behaviour for the server OS,
> you are correct and I made a mistake.

You were right about the random ID thing on the server, that is enabled by
default. It's just the privacy stuff that they disable by default on
the server. I didn't know about that, and it's definitely good to know.
Personally, I'm still trying to figure out the benefit, outside of hiding
who your NIC's vendor is.

> And I can say with 100% certainty that I wasn't instructing Chris on how
> to set up a windows server :). My response to Chris was you get more
> addresses.

:-) Not to nitpick, but I don't think that's what's going to happen. I
think the ISPs will give you statics, but as member addresses of your local
subnet. If ISPs wanted to give out /64s they'd have to either allocate
a static and update their routing tables for it, or they'd have to trust
customer router advertisements. Something I don't think they'd want to do.
It's simpler, more secure, and less config management on their end to just
give you a range of IPs for the local subnet. Anything more will probably
require a CPE router that they can manage.

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding. When & if ISPs start offering
it, we'll find out what they'll offer and how they'll manage it.

> I was however, responding to your statement which I felt was overly
> broad and not entirely true. They way I did that was to point out what
> Microsoft is doing. However, even here it looks like I am wrong, it
> appears that MS configures a non EUI-64 address for the client, and then
> additional randomized addresses for privacy, which is where I got all
> confused.
>
> So all in all, damn I hate being wrong.

Welcome to my world. :-) I've been told repeatedly that I'm only capable of
learning the hard way, which makes me wrong 75% of the time.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die