[aklug] Re: IPv6 benefits me...

From: Erinn Looney-Triggs <erinn.looneytriggs@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2012 - 14:34:30 AKDT

On 06/06/2012 12:54 PM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
>
>> Ugh, ok lets go back to the basic premise and I will try to restate my
>> argument.
>>
>> You: "FYI: once everyone is on IPv6 you'll essentially have a static
>> IP."
>>
>> Me, restating what I was trying to say: No not for everyone
>> unfortunately, I would prefer they did but not everyone will.
>
> Ah, but everyone can, and quite easily, too.
>
> Don't get your knickers all twisted up. I appreciate your giving
> us all a heads on MS' practices. That said, you haven't shown how
> (im)persistent that random ID is on the server, nor do you seem to
> acknowledge that the random ID is separate from the privacy settings, which
> is pertinent to whether the permanent addresses get rotated. Rotation
> makes
> sense for the outbound anonymous connections, but a lot less sense for
> inbound services. I'd be extremely surprise if even MS would advocate that
> kind of idiocy, since during the period of rotation there's going to be a
> period of inaccessibility for other clients trying to contact the server on
> the old cached address. That wouldn't make their servers look very good.

No it wouldn't and it is not the default behaviour for the server OS,
you are correct and I made a mistake.

> Finally: know your audience. It's good to know what the other OS'es are
> doing for interoperability purposes. But I can say with 99% certainty that
> Chris wasn't asking for the purposes of setting up a Windows server.

And I can say with 100% certainty that I wasn't instructing Chris on how
to set up a windows server :). My response to Chris was you get more
addresses.

I was however, responding to your statement which I felt was overly
broad and not entirely true. They way I did that was to point out what
Microsoft is doing. However, even here it looks like I am wrong, it
appears that MS configures a non EUI-64 address for the client, and then
additional randomized addresses for privacy, which is where I got all
confused.

So all in all, damn I hate being wrong.

-Erinn