[aklug] Re: IPv6 benefits me...

From: Erinn Looney-Triggs <erinn.looneytriggs@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2012 - 12:32:40 AKDT

On 06/06/2012 11:34 AM, Arthur Corliss wrote:

> Anyone interested in static addresses is highly likely to be interested in
> setting up a server. The article wasn't clear as to how stateful the
> random
> ID things is, and it explicitly states that the privacy settings (which
> apply not to the random ID itself but to the temporary addresses used for
> outbound connections) is disabled by default on the server.

Ugh, ok lets go back to the basic premise and I will try to restate my
argument.

You: "FYI: once everyone is on IPv6 you'll essentially have a static IP."

Me, restating what I was trying to say: No not for everyone
unfortunately, I would prefer they did but not everyone will.

> So, again, it's not unreasonable to question the relevance. Most people on
> this list interested in setting up a server are overwhelmingly likely to be
> setting up Linux servers, not MS servers, and for the minority doing the
> latter it still doesn't answer the question as to how long the random ID
> lasts, the article you posted doesn't explicitly say. Correct me if I
> missed it.

Fine we won't talk about Microsoft as they are not relevant, refer back
to the basic statement from you about everyone, that was all I was
responding to, and trying to throw a bit of (perhaps) new knowledge in
to the pool.

-Erinn