[aklug] Re: IPv6 benefits me...

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2012 - 11:05:48 AKDT

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:

> Not exactly unfortunately, Microsoft has chosen the route of basically
> not allowing SLAAC by default, in order to increase privacy. They
> instead randomize the identifiers, and those change every few days. So
> unless you disable that on an MS system SLAAC is not all that helpful
> (and it is enabled by default on both clients, where it makes sense, and
> server OS, where it doesn't).
>
> A nice article here:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.08.cableguy.aspx

Good information, but for the purposes of everyone here is this relevant?
I'd assume we're talking about setting up Linux servers, not MS servers.
According to the article, though, the random ID is generated and used for
all permanent IP addresses. The privacy bit for temporary addresses is only
enabled on the client OS's, not the servers.

I am a bit curious as to what happens with the random ID bit, though. Does
it get regenerated with every change in link state, or just when the system
is booted? With decent uptimes you'd basically have a static IP.

Or, you could just run the one command necessary to put it into a normal
EUI-64 based address. So, regardless, you can still essentially have a
static IP on non-DHCP networks.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die