[aklug] Re: IPv6 benefits me...

From: Erinn Looney-Triggs <erinn.looneytriggs@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2012 - 10:46:15 AKDT

On 06/06/2012 10:39 AM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
>
>> If you manage to get six or seven IPs let me know (because that will be
>> one weird ISP you have), usually they assign in blocks of 18
>> quintillion, as in a /64. This is where ipv6 benefits you, a little more
>> room to elbow around in. That and I really like SLAAC, StateLess Address
>> AutocConfiguration. I have been working most of this week deploying IPv6
>> to my systems, so let me know if you have any questions.
>
> FYI: once everyone is on IPv6 you'll essentially have a static IP.
> Remember, the last 64 bits of the address is intended to be based on your
> hardware address (in the case of ethernet, incorporating your 48 bit MAC
> address), which is supposed to virtually guarantee you a unique address on
> every network. So, unless your ISP rearranges their network topology,
> whatever network address they assign to your segment gives you a static
> address.
>
> Of course, that's assuming their deployment uses router advertisements
> rather than DHCP. If it's the latter, you're screwed... which is an
> interesting question. We'll have to see what the ISPs do. radvd is
> simpler
> to manage, but DHCP will preserve the revenue stream for static
> allocations.
> You'll know their priorities based on what they choose.
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

Not exactly unfortunately, Microsoft has chosen the route of basically
not allowing SLAAC by default, in order to increase privacy. They
instead randomize the identifiers, and those change every few days. So
unless you disable that on an MS system SLAAC is not all that helpful
(and it is enabled by default on both clients, where it makes sense, and
server OS, where it doesn't).

A nice article here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.08.cableguy.aspx

-Erinn