[aklug] Re: IPv6 benefits me...

From: Erinn Looney-Triggs <erinn.looneytriggs@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2012 - 11:13:39 AKDT

On 06/06/2012 11:05 AM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
>
>> Not exactly unfortunately, Microsoft has chosen the route of basically
>> not allowing SLAAC by default, in order to increase privacy. They
>> instead randomize the identifiers, and those change every few days. So
>> unless you disable that on an MS system SLAAC is not all that helpful
>> (and it is enabled by default on both clients, where it makes sense, and
>> server OS, where it doesn't).
>>
>> A nice article here:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.08.cableguy.aspx
>
> Good information, but for the purposes of everyone here is this relevant?
> I'd assume we're talking about setting up Linux servers, not MS servers.
> According to the article, though, the random ID is generated and used for
> all permanent IP addresses. The privacy bit for temporary addresses is
> only
> enabled on the client OS's, not the servers.

As I said it is enabled on their server OS as well as the client. I
would say working with MS systems is probably relevant to everyone,
unless of course you never connect to an MS system. And it is of course
relevant if any Linux distribution wants to enable the same feature by
default in Linux (I don't know if any have).

> I am a bit curious as to what happens with the random ID bit, though. Does
> it get regenerated with every change in link state, or just when the system
> is booted? With decent uptimes you'd basically have a static IP.

Both, and more, it gets regenerated every couple of days as well, so no
static.

> Or, you could just run the one command necessary to put it into a normal
> EUI-64 based address. So, regardless, you can still essentially have a
> static IP on non-DHCP networks.

Of course, but a default is a default, you were talking about how
systems will have a static, I was saying no not for a large chunk of
systems by default. You could also just assign a static regardless of
router advertisements or DHCP, the choice is always yours, I was just
pointing out that by default it wasn't as simple as it looked,
especially in Microsoft's case.

-Erinn