[aklug] Re: Routers that have DHCP reservation enabled

From: techno curmudgeon <technocurmudgeon@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 22 2012 - 09:18:40 AKDT

Almost everything currently available will do static mac->ip
assignment via DHCP these days.

If you are going to replace a router, there are lots of firmware out there.

dd-wrt is popular, though I got kind of ticked off at what I regarded
at the time as his sort of deceptive letter-but-not-the-spirit
adherence to the GPL, so I abandoned dd-wrt years ago.

I use tomato and tomato-usb a lot, but it only works on some broadcom
based units. Pay attention to the HCL. But it has worked flawlessly
and unattended in multiple locations for me for years.

Of course, there is openwrt. Openwrt is good and I've gotten a lot of
mileage out of openwrt. I have in general found it to be not as solid
or operationally stable as tomato. Be aware that there are issues
with PPPOE between the zhone DSL modems ACS uses and openwrt; they
don't work or play well together. I determined that it was the zhone
modems, but not any of the other modems (Nortel, for instance) that
ACS uses. Other folks have reported similar problems with other ISPs,
but not enough to really do anything serious to try to fix it.

As far as actual routers, pay close attention to the HCL for whatever
firmware you decide to use. For openwrt, I've settled on the
Trendlink 1043ND unless I want 5GHz (an), in which case I use Netgear
WNDR3700. I've had very good luck with Buffalo also, and pretty good
luck with Asus. Be sure and get the max memory, both flash and ram.

Hope this helps.