[aklug] Re: Routers that have DHCP reservation enabled

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Tue May 22 2012 - 07:53:53 AKDT

* bryanm@acsalaska.net <bryanm@acsalaska.net> [120522 07:16]:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 10:58 am, Tim Johnson wrote:
> > That's really good info. My business partner tells me that I
> > should expect most new routers to have DHCP Reservasions, but I
> > would want to be sure.
>
> It should be easy to find out. If you're looking at a few prospects,
> check out the manufacturers' websites and look up the features.

  Of course. I see now that the terminology varies, and there are
  not a discrete set of features. So we have dd-wrt system that is
  open source, I've looked at that a bit. Enough to know that it is
  very attractive. There is open-wrt, which I have not yet begun to
  research. My brother tells me that one of his routers has the
  ability (out-of-box) to reserve an IP address to a single machine,
  once it has been connected and the IP provided and that is good
  enough for me, although I do like the ability to map MAC, IP,
  *and* host together. It seems like that would be the
  out-of-the-box standard before long.

  thanks

--
Tim