[aklug] Re: Linux/Unix VM's for Demonstration.

From: Darren Coolidge <dcoolidge@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 12 2012 - 18:34:02 AKST

The only other os I can think of is reactos. Havent looked at it for years
though...
On Feb 12, 2012 6:18 PM, "Jim MacDonald" <jim@macdonald.org> wrote:

I have actually been on there all day. But it's a case of the forest for
the trees if you will. I am familiar with most of the top 10 or so distros.
I asked this on here because maybe someone had a gem I hadn't thought of
yet….
Let me tell you what I DO have and maybe this will narrow it down a bit.

Ubuntu 11.10
       with KDE, xfce, Enlightenment, Gnome and Unity all loaded so I can
switch between UI's

Win8 (developers Preview)

Win2k8Svr

Smoothwall Polar

Win7

Backtrack 5.1

Sugar (Linux variant used on OLPC)

Mint 12

JoliOS

Oracle Solaris 11

FreeBSD

and I am using my MBP as a demo as well.

Darren, I would build a distro that booted from floppy if I had a floppy
drive in my laptop. :)

One of the unique features of Virtual box is you can setup interfaces that
just talks between the vm's, you can setup a virtual network if you will.
I have actually done this on my MBP. I have setup a smooth wall firewall
and made the gateway the actual laptop and then routed traffic from two
other running vm's through it just to demonstrate the pack sniffing and
network traffic analysis features of smooth wall.