[aklug] Re: Just thought I would give a check in Gents..

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Mon Feb 06 2012 - 07:35:35 AKST

* Nathan Templeton <pb280c@hotmail.com> [120206 07:10]:
> Well the move is over, and life in California is well=85. Interesting. =
> Has me missing Alaska a bit more than I thought!=20
>
> Thought I would give a hello to the group, I have trolled the list =
> since I left. Most of my linux experience now is focused on a =
> bastardized version of BSD, finally went totally mac in the home office =
> space. Could not pass up the deal on the Core i5 mini and a quad core G5 =
> PPC that came along a month or so after it. I guess there are good =
> points to being in California in that respect.=20
>
> Delving through the way Apple made the OS " there's " has been an =
> interesting time, while I do not see the lines of logic in it all, it =
> does work pretty well.=20

  I'm writing this in mutt on a 2011 mac mini with 8 GB RAM. I've
  used ubuntu for years, but when I got the mini, I decided to give
  *nix on mac a try. In short, I have the same *nix experience on
  the mac mini that I have on any of my linux PCs.

  I have a full LAMP setup (where P=python).

  One thing I like better than linux is widow switching with 'witch'
  and that copying and pasting works the same in *all* applications.
  I use iterm2 for my console and macVim as my editor.

  It is rock-solid stable. More stable than any linux I have used.

  But it *is* Apple and Apple *is* Big Brother...

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com