[aklug] SOPA/PIPA

From: Scott A. Johnson <scott.a.johnson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jan 16 2012 - 20:23:27 AKST

It's been over a month since the last post on these bills. Not
looking to discuss the merits of the bills or if they're right or
wrong (though I suspect people will chime in with their views)....
really wanted to discuss the technical aspects of the bills and by
proxy how to get around the proposed measures.

To start with, regarding DNS poisoning, couldn't you just run a local
recursive DNS server set to query DNS/root servers outside the US
where the bills should have no impact? Yes, I realize governments
around the world will be under pressure from certain interests to
enact similar legislation, but wouldn't querying non-US DNS servers
work at least for a while?

Scott

--
Scott A. Johnson