[aklug] Re: Viper Autostart

From: Scott A. Johnson <scott.a.johnson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jan 16 2012 - 20:27:00 AKST

My understanding is it receives specially coded text messages through
the AT&T network. Technically if someone got the IMEI/Cell number for
the unit and knew the commands, I suppose they could possibly start
the vehicle or unlock the doors. But to actually drive off the key
needs to be in the ignition. If they're able to get around the key
requirement, they're going to be able to steal the vehicle anyways.
So, I'm really not too worried.

Cost per month ranges from $3-6, depending if you want GPS
location/tracking for the vehicle as well (i.e. get an alert if your
vehicle leaves a zone/enters a zone/goes over certain pre-set speed -
i.e. good for kids). The monthly fee seems pretty reasonable IMHO.

Scott

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 09:58, Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com> wrot=
e:
> On Saturday, January 07, 2012, Scott A. Johnson elucidated thus:
>> Does anyone else on the LUG have a Viper "SmartStart" autostart
>> system? =C2=A0Just curious what others have done to hack their unit.
>>
>> For those unfamiliar it is a module that connects your vehicle's
>> autostart system with a cellular modem and provisions on AT&T's
>> national network. =C2=A0I can issue
>>
>> scott@empoknor:~$ starttruck
>>
>> from my living room and the vehicle in the driveway starts. =C2=A0I can
>> just as easily be in Seattle or France and the truck will start as
>> well.
>
> What is the monthy cost for that? I'd love to put that in our car (I
> have an Android phone), but I don't know if I want to pay a monthly fee
> for a feature I'll rarely use (i.e. I'd just buy a unit with a two-way
> remote).
>
> And what kind of security does it have? =C2=A0If someone guesses your
> autostart number, can they start your car remotely too?

> --
> Joshua Kugler
> Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
> http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK