[aklug] Re: C: the early days

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Sun Jan 08 2012 - 11:24:24 AKST

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> Wasn't a fan of Pascal either. It is a structered language, which I liked,
> but it was all interpretive. I was into the fully compiling languages like
> Assembly, Fortan, & PL/1.

As a fan of Pascal myself I'd have to challenge your recollection. Pascal
has always been a compiled language, and (if wikipedia can be trusted) was a
self-hosting compiler in mid-1970.

Pascal is still going strong via the Free Pascal project, and Borland (which
is now Embarcadero (sp?)) still has Delphi. I've been a user of the Borland
products since the '80s, and have always though highly of them.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die