[aklug] Re: C: the early days

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Sun Jan 08 2012 - 13:01:31 AKST

* Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org> [120108 11:29]:
> As a fan of Pascal myself I'd have to challenge your recollection. Pascal
> has always been a compiled language, and (if wikipedia can be trusted) was a
> self-hosting compiler in mid-1970.
>
> Pascal is still going strong via the Free Pascal project, and Borland (which
> is now Embarcadero (sp?)) still has Delphi. I've been a user of the Borland
> products since the '80s, and have always though highly of them.
  Yeah, I studied pascal, but ended up working mainly in C. In
  retrospect, Pascal might have been just as a good a choice for
  compiled applications.

  Pascal is 'stricter' than C - to my recollection and although more
  likely to show compile errors, less likely to show runtime errors.
  Or so my fading memory records ...

  BTW: I'm sure that most here know that there are a number of C
  interpreters available, both free ware and commercial, but thought
  I would just mention that.

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com