[aklug] Re: C: the early days

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 08 2012 - 02:08:36 AKST

I remember ordering Kernighan and Ritchie's book on C from a bookstore that
used to be in that mall in the basment of the Penny's parking garage when
it first came out about the time you're referring to.
Went down to pick it up when they called me. Got down there and what they'd
gotten me was a book on Pascal. Was suppoed to go back down a couple of day
later when the manager would be back from a trip or something. Next thing I
knew, the store closed up shop. Never did get my book. Paid for it in
advance too.

Too bad too. I hear those books are something of collector's items now.

Wasn't a fan of Pascal either. It is a structered language, which I liked,
but it was all interpretive. I was into the fully compiling languages like
Assembly, Fortan, & PL/1.

Jim G
On Jan 8, 2012 1:35 AM, "Christopher Howard" <