[aklug] Re: Fwd: Responding to your message (SOPA Bill)

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 11 2011 - 15:41:31 AKST

I think you're correct, but if you look at the history of the situation,
it's always been something of a sticky situation.
19th century authors were generally very much against public lending
libraries and lobbied against many of the "fair use" laws/rules we have now.

I read once that one method Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) had of dealing with
it was to periodically revise his publicacations so that what was in the
libraries was out of date.

I do think it is rediculous to have copyrights that last forever, at the
same time people who foster other types of business expect to be able to
sell that business or leave it to their heirs. They have a right to make
money off the product of their labors just as the rest of us do. I don't
think we have the right to set the price on their labor, except through
free market forces.

Figuring out where to draw the lines is difficult.

Jim G