[aklug] Questions: working on commission

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Nov 29 2011 - 14:10:41 AKST

I had a rather broad question, but I am hoping to get some advice: In
the past, people who knew about my technical skills have requested to
hire me to complete some small task (e.g., fix a broken Web page).
Previously I was too busy to participate, but now I am wondering if it
might be possible to make a little money doing a job here and there,
working remotely. I think some of you do work like that (Josh?). Does
anyone have any thought about any legal, financial, or practical issues
I should be concerned about? (Including anything especially relevant to
Alaska.) There are few issues that immediately come to mind:
1. Do I need a business license? I remember looking the subject a while
ago and discovering that Alaska had a "software developer" license, but
I was left rather uncertain about the subject. It seems like it would be
rather odd to be advertising my one-room apartment as a "place of business".

2. Payment methods: Paypal? Personal checks? Receipts? Etc.

3. Payment procedures: Pay in advance? Pay partially in advance?
Individual quotes or fixed rates? Etc.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us