[aklug] Re: Questions: working on commission

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Tue Nov 29 2011 - 15:45:00 AKST

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [111129 14:17]:
> I had a rather broad question, but I am hoping to get some advice: In
> the past, people who knew about my technical skills have requested to
> hire me to complete some small task (e.g., fix a broken Web page).
> Previously I was too busy to participate, but now I am wondering if it
> might be possible to make a little money doing a job here and there,
> working remotely. I think some of you do work like that (Josh?). Does
> anyone have any thought about any legal, financial, or practical issues
> I should be concerned about? (Including anything especially relevant to
> Alaska.) There are few issues that immediately come to mind:
> 1. Do I need a business license? I remember looking the subject a while
> ago and discovering that Alaska had a "software developer" license, but
> I was left rather uncertain about the subject. It seems like it would be
> rather odd to be advertising my one-room apartment as a "place of business".
  I have a state business license.
> 2. Payment methods: Paypal? Personal checks? Receipts? Etc.
  I wrote my own web-based invoicing application.
  We use paypal for those that are remote. Be advised, paypal takes
  a fee. But they make it easy.
> 3. Payment procedures: Pay in advance? Pay partially in advance?
  have done both. Pay in advance is good if you are new to them.
> Individual quotes or fixed rates? Etc.
  Me. Always fixed.
 All certain. All possible. Been doing this for years. Right now I'm
 working for folks in Austin. Never met 'em. Have a go-between. I
 bill him and he bills them.

 ... back to work ...

--
Tim