[aklug] Re: large scale wireless question

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2011 - 11:42:29 AKDT

On 10/19/11 11:34, Jeremy Austin wrote:

> Number of access points depends on how big the installation is. There are
> cheap ways to do it (off the shelf APs, no central management), semi-cheap
> ways to do it (Ubiquiti), and expensive ways (Proxim, Cisco etc). The most
> important thing is to have someone who knows wireless take a look at it.
> It's not too hard to set up some test APs and walk around with a meter
> (heck, any Android phone can run a metering app). But as far as choosing the
> radios, channels, and installation locations… there are all kinds of ways to
> do it badly.
>
> Cautionary tales include, among other things, Ways To Get The FCC Involved
> via illegal amping. And no, it wasn't me.
>
> jermudgeon

+1 (and a chuckle to jermudgeon)

My $0.02:

0.01: If the site is large enough to warrant central managment then
Cisco's Wireless Lan Controller (AKA WLC) is a tidy solution.

0.02: For a multi-tennant situation with fire walls (actual fire
blocking walls), RADIAX Radiating Coaxial cable is a neat solution. UAF
used it quite effectively in the dorms when the interior walls didn't
turn out to be as RF transparent as initially planned.

--
Tom