[aklug] Re: large scale wireless question

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2011 - 11:34:24 AKDT

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com> wrote:
> Yesterday a man came to my business who is opening a Motel 6. He wants a
> price for providing all the motel's rooms with wireless access. He said he
> already has the router(s) and (something else). My hearing is bad, and he
> is not a native English speaker, so I missed it.
>
> My question is: what type of APs are used in this type of situation? I'm
> about to go over there and look at what he already has, and the setup of
> the motel.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Bruce

Number of access points depends on how big the installation is. There are
 cheap ways to do it (off the shelf APs, no central management), semi-cheap
ways to do it (Ubiquiti), and expensive ways (Proxim, Cisco etc). The most
important thing is to have someone who knows wireless take a look at it.
It's not too hard to set up some test APs and walk around with a meter
(heck, any Android phone can run a metering app). But as far as choosing the
radios, channels, and installation locations… there are all kinds of ways to
do it badly.

Cautionary tales include, among other things, Ways To Get The FCC Involved
via illegal amping. And no, it wasn't me.

jermudgeon