[aklug] Re: Linux Certification Courses

From: Erinn Looney-Triggs <erinn.looneytriggs@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Oct 18 2011 - 12:42:20 AKDT

On 10/18/2011 12:32 PM, Michael Horton wrote:
> No, I'm not planning on going for the certification, I just do better
> learning the system with someone else learning along side with me. My
> brain works weirdly! I've tried this many times on my own, just
> thought it would be beneficial to do some online training progam to
> help me through the astronomical learning curve.
> - Michael
>
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Erinn Looney-Triggs
> <erinn.looneytriggs@gmail.com <mailto:erinn.looneytriggs@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2011 12:18 PM, Michael Horton wrote:
> > Does anybody know of a good program to go through that will
> teach me the ins
> > and outs of everything Linux? I have found this link through LPI
> that gives
> > me various vendors that can help me prepare to take a cert
> course, anybody
> > have suggestions?
> >
> http://www.lpi.org/eng/training__1/study_materials/new_exam_preparation_resources_for_revised_lpic_exams
> > Thanks,
> > - Michael
> >

> > ---------
> <mailto:aklug-request@aklug.org>>
> > with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
> >

> Honestly, those certificates often aren't worth the paper they are
> printed on. Now if you are doing them just to learn learn and not so
> much for the certification than the LPI ones can be good, as can the
> RHCE series. But if the goal and hope is that having a
> certification is
> worth something, well, I just wouldn't bother.
>
> The cheaper alternative is to buy the books for the
> certifications, sit
> down on an Ubuntu machine (or whatever distro) and just start
> working at
> it. Or skip the books and just make the distro your primary
> desktop and
> keep poking at things (don't be afraid to break things, back
> everything
> up etc.). Use the GUI tools at first but always look for what the
> command line tools would do as well, the true power is in the CL.
>
> It is a pain in the ass, especially to start, the learning curve is
> astronomical, but it is worth it in the end.
>
> -Erinn

Then yeah, by all means, go for the books, or the courses. RHCE is a
good choice, LPI is a good one as well, just be aware that a lot of the
course material for these certifications are geared toward passing the
certification, so it can be a bit confining.

A couple of other suggestions:
Build linux from scratch:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

When you get comfortable, try using gentoo for kicks, it broke on me a
lot which is a great way to learn:
http://www.gentoo.org

The more of the plumbing you understand, the easier the higher layers
are. It'll be frustrating at times, don't give up, the breadth of
understanding of computing in general that you will gain from running
Linux as opposed to windows is well worth it in my opinion.

-Erinn