[aklug] Re: IPv6

From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sun Oct 09 2011 - 20:46:53 AKDT

Yes and no.

You need to remember that when v4 rolled out, it was replacing a
(compared to today) very small deployment, running few things and almost
entirly handled by very high level folks with very little in the way of
a non-technical userbase.

What we have today, depends on many things developed over 20+ years on
top of v4. We now have a much, much larger network, thousands of times
the dependancies, hundreds of millions of less than tech savvy users, etc...

There are still all sorts of arguments about how to do things, and
active development, these days it is more about the edge and consumer
than backbone though. Support for the backbone is fairly easy, buy
newer gear that has v6 in the hardware and deploy. Th edge is more of
an issue though, service terminators, addr distrib protocols, CPE
gear... All are still works in progress.

Still taking too long, but even ignoring the "business reasons" for the
slow roll, deploying v6 is alot more than just v6 transport.