[aklug] Re: Stupid PBL

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Wed Oct 05 2011 - 15:47:41 AKDT

On Wednesday, October 05, 2011, techno curmudgeon elucidated thus:
> > Don't host mail on a dynamic IP.
>
> In other words, pay the ISP whatever silly price they want for a
> static ip? Let me think about this a second.
>
> No.
>
> Let me think about it a bit more.
>
> <redacted> No.
>
> If it was a buck or two a month (absolute max) for a static IP, then
> maybe...maybe...it'd be worth considering. But not no $20 or $30 or
> whatever it is per month.

$10/month for ACS.

But there is another problem with hosting a mail server on a dynamic IP.
if you are using as service like dyndns to point a name at your mail
server, when your connection goes down, and then comes back up, you'll
probably have a different IP address. And someone else could have your
old IP address. So, until you update your dyndns profile, and the TTL on
your mail server name expires, somebody else could be getting mail
destined for your machine. Or, if you connection goes down for a while
(and you *can't* update your dyndns record), then somebody else could be
getting your e-mail for a LONG time instead of the remote mail server
not connecting and waiting to deliver when you come back up.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A