[aklug] Re: Mac + linux

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2011 - 10:57:21 AKDT

On 09/29/11 10:27, Tim Johnson wrote:
> * Tom Simes<simestd@netexpress.com> [110929 10:07]:
>> On 09/29/11 09:48, Tim Johnson wrote:
>>> * David M. Syzdek<david@syzdek.net> [110929 08:58]:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> With OS X and Macports I have no need to hassle with dual booting.
>>
>> I've got a Mac mini, a hackintoshed Dell Mini 9 and a beige box (black
>> really) hackintosh at home. I'm in FreeBSD all day at $job, and OS X
>> under the hood is so familiar, the *nix tools are so easily available
>> and it's so generally stable that I don't feel the need to dual boot.
> Oh, that is great to hear. I believe that I am being talked out of
> using a dual-boot configuration. What amount of RAM do you have on
> the mini? And, could you explain what you mean by 'hackintoshed
> Dell mini'?
> thanks

DOH! It just dawned on me that you might have thought a Mac Mini and a
Dell Mini 9 were somehow related. The Dell Mini 9 is an older Netbook
that Dell used to make. Many people snapped them up because the
particular hardware combination made it trivial to convert to a fully
functional OS X Netbook. I love mine and use it all the time - it's my
default portable machine whether I'm headed out for some quick Wireshark
captures, doing a little 'shoping with Gimp or just surfing and e-mail.
  If mine croaked, I'd be stalking eBay for another ASAP.

--
Tom