[aklug] Re: OT: need solder geek help

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Mon Sep 12 2011 - 14:27:13 AKDT

----Original Message----
From: aklug-bounce@aklug.org [mailto:aklug-bounce@aklug.org]
On Behalf Of David Prentice
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 2:10 PM
To: AKLUG Mailing List
Subject: [aklug] OT: need solder geek help

> Problem is that the console clock in my subaru is dead, and I
> kinda want it
> to work. This is what the project looks like:
> http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/oh-no-my-clock-doe
> snt-work-3350/index4.html=20

LOL.

I did this exact repair in July. Just for giggles I did the 510, and then =
went on to do all the 300's as well.

Get a $15 soldering iron from Radio Shack, a spool of the really thin solde=
r, and you're good. =20

Takes two minutes, and you really don't need any skills. If you've NEVER u=
sed a soldering iron, practice on an old ISA card you have laying around. =
The basic rule is to not apply heat to a component for a really long period=
 of time -- just a few seconds is enough once the iron has heated.

Be careful not to lose the buttons on the clock -- they are two part button=
s, and they're not held in by anything other than the size of the holes in =
the front of the clock bezel.

So remove the clock from your car, but don't take the bezel off until you'r=
e inside at a table where you can keep track of small items.

James=