[aklug] Re: Javascript book with problems

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Fri Aug 12 2011 - 07:44:37 AKDT

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [110811 19:41]:
> On 08/11/2011 03:07 PM, James wrote:
> > What background are you coming from? Are you trying to learn to program, or
> > just learning to code in JavaScript?
>
> The latter. Personally, I think I'd be happy to code solely in Haskell
> the rest of my life (at least, until learning Agda) except for the
> damning reality that Javascript is the most ubiquitous cross-platform
> scripting language on the planet (quite an amazing achievement, I must
> admit) with a market that covers literally the entire Internet.
  Javascript is like the 'ansi C' of the internet. :( Only there is
  now 'ansi' to it! I'm going to make a prediction:
  coffeescript is just the beginning. As someone who started web
  programming with C and assembler and now works in high-level
  interpreted languages, I see the trend to more programming
  languages that are essentially preprocessors for Javascript.
  In additon, I see such PLs as coming integrated with existing
  well-used and tried Javascript libraries.
  .. Just saying...
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoffeeScript
  http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/

  BTW: I have not yet investigated coffeescript. Since I have no R&D
  budget, I'm just going to keep my eye on things and see how this
  trend goes before investing any time.

--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com