[aklug] Re: Javascript book with problems

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Fri Aug 12 2011 - 12:49:46 AKDT

On 08/12/2011 07:44 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> * Christopher Howard<christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [110811 19:41]:
>> On 08/11/2011 03:07 PM, James wrote:
>>> What background are you coming from? Are you trying to learn to program, or
>>> just learning to code in JavaScript?
>>
>> The latter. Personally, I think I'd be happy to code solely in Haskell
>> the rest of my life (at least, until learning Agda) except for the
>> damning reality that Javascript is the most ubiquitous cross-platform
>> scripting language on the planet (quite an amazing achievement, I must
>> admit) with a market that covers literally the entire Internet.
> Javascript is like the 'ansi C' of the internet. :( Only there is
> now 'ansi' to it! I'm going to make a prediction:
> coffeescript is just the beginning. As someone who started web
> programming with C and assembler and now works in high-level
> interpreted languages, I see the trend to more programming
> languages that are essentially preprocessors for Javascript.
> In additon, I see such PLs as coming integrated with existing
> well-used and tried Javascript libraries.
> .. Just saying...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoffeeScript
> http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/
>
> BTW: I have not yet investigated coffeescript. Since I have no R&D
> budget, I'm just going to keep my eye on things and see how this
> trend goes before investing any time.

You definitely have me interested. Wikipedia says coffeescript is
partially inspired by Haskell, and the coffeescript homepage indicates
that coffeescript has comprehensions and pattern-matching. Though, their
documentation seemed to indicate that one is supposed to already be
familiar with javascript before attacking coffeescript.

I might also note that there are several Haskell -> Javascript compiler
projects (of various approaches) though from what I understand none are
well-developed at present.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us