[aklug] xorg upgrade gotcha

From: Steven Johnson <stevejzoo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jun 28 2011 - 21:14:19 AKDT

Those running old video cards should be aware that recent xorg 1.10.x
upgrades drop support for many old cards (such as the Nvidia GeForce card in
the eight year old Dell Dimension on one of my desks). The X11 server will
not start. The fix is apparently to downgrade to xorg 1.9.5, breaking
dependencies, or to finally move to some new, or newer old, equipment...
I ran into the xorg upgrade during an apparently routine updating of
PCLinuxos, the "just works" distribution...

Steve Johnson
stevejzoo@gmail.com