[aklug] What should I consider before doing an install?

From: <bryanm@acsalaska.net>
Date: Wed Jun 29 2011 - 08:45:05 AKDT

I've been putting off doing a new OS install, and one reason is that
I'm a bit daunted by the more advanced options for me to consider.
Sure, some will just pop in a DVD and start installing, but not I.
I'm a planner. I want to make sure I do it right the first time,
especially with regard to choices that are hard or impossible to
change afterward.

Consequently, I'm trying to codify a list of questions I want to
answer for myself before starting an install. Of course, I'm worried
that I'm forgetting something, which is why I'm asking here. What
else do I need to consider? What choices do I have during the install
that will have an enduring impact?

-----
Will I be using an initrd?

Will one or more filesystems be encrypted?

How do I want to partition the drive(s)?

  Will I be using LVM?

  Do I want some some filesystems to have nosuid/noexec protections?

Should virtualization options affect my partitioning?

Will I be using a file-integrity checker like AIDE?

-----

Thanks for any suggestions about what I can add to the list.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryanm@acsalaska.net