[aklug] Re: xorg upgrade gotcha

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 29 2011 - 17:34:55 AKDT

In a similar venue, I recently attempted a default install of Fedora 15
on an older laptop. The default desktop is Gnome 3.x which requires
accelerated graphics for full functionality.

The laptop in question is not that old... Multi threaded (but not not
core) P4 @ 3.0 GHz. It will do 3D, but not accelerated graphics.

Gnome did do a "reduced functionality" desktop in this instance, but it
was less functional for me than Gnome 2.x. This laptop is now running
Fedora 14 (Gnome 2.x).

Jim G