[aklug] Re: Xmonad (again) / Functional Programming

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Fri Apr 15 2011 - 19:21:12 AKDT

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [110415 18:35]:
> Thought this image was cool, though it is not mine:
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Xmonad-screen-triplehead-dons.png
>
> (Dang, I need to get a third monitor...)
>
> Thought this was cool too, as it shows what kind of weird layout
> algorithms you can come up with:
>
> http://www.matburt.net/images/desk1.png
>
> Anyway, I'll try to lay off blabbing about Xmonad for a while. Right now
  I think Xmonad is a bit like Awesome. Am I right? Anyway, I played
  with Awesome some. I thought it was difficult to learn to use.

  One might find the learning curve is worth it for the results, but
  I haven't been there yet.

  Right now I am actively using two desktops: gnome and fluxbox, for
  most of what I do, fluxbox is the preferred. Really easy to learn.
  Very agile and easy to customize.
> I'm going through a Haskell tutorial... don't know if I'll end up being
> a Haskell programmer, but the little I've learned so far has been quite
> interesting. I'm hoping that some of the ideas from this "functional"
> programming paradigm will help me overcome some of the challenges I face
> whenever I try to start a large programming project. Seems like I often
> get mired down in dealing with all the complexity in the interaction
> between the objects in the program as well as the order of how issues
> should be resolved.
  I used to do OOP in Ansi C. It wasn't by degrees as 'OOP-ish' as
  C++, but by learning C++, I could apply many of the principles to
  'straight' C.

  Similarly by learning how haskell works, you could apply at least
  some of those principles to say, perl or python.

  And yes, I think that OOP can be highly over-rated, even tho' I
  primarily use python. A cousin of mine works for Microsoft, he
  has told me that Windows is written 90% or better in C++. Yet most
  of the various Linux distros are (to my knowledge) written in C.
  Go figure.

--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com