[aklug] Re: xmonad

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Apr 13 2011 - 09:36:40 AKDT

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> It's been 15 years, more or less, since I used the Windows 1, 2, 3
> stuff. I may not be remembering correctly at this point. It may also be
> that we have different ideas of what tiling means. That was also the
> point I got fed up with Windows and started looking for something else.
> Took me about 5 years to find Linux :-)

I have little doubt that we primarily disagree on the definition of a tiling
wm. :-) Just for kicks, I sold a complete OEM boxed set of Windows/286 on
e-bay just a few months ago. I had to load it just to see it in action. I
didn't actually get on the Windows bandwagon until v3.0. Even in the v3.x
days of Windows most of the software I was interested in running ran only
under DOS.

> Actually, that's how long it took me to get my hands on it. I found it
> fairly soon, I just couldn't figure out what to do to get my hands on it
> w/ a dial up modem and no guidance.

:-) I remember flipping 20 some-odd floppies in '95, trying to load
Slack.... can't tell you how glad I am that removable storage media has
improved so much.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die