[aklug] Re: xmonad

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Apr 12 2011 - 11:38:49 AKDT

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011, Shane R. Spencer wrote:

> Not really.. I didn't compare cascading to tiling.. only that above and beyond cascading I
> remember an auto-fit tiling mode. Tiles being side to side in 2 directions.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing an auto-fit tiling mode
for the desktop in Windows. Inside of MDI applications, yes, like the
Program Manager and File Manager, but not for new applications.

> The "idea" is that windows are well fit to a tiled display as you require them to be is up
> to your personal requirements of course. Managed tiled windows is quite a bit more refined.

Ah, but that's the whole point of a tiling wm. It not only tiles by
default, but also automatically adjusts existing tiles so that no tile's
surface is obscured. Windows has never to my knowledge supported this out
of the box.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die