[aklug] Re: multiple distros coordinate to establish /run directory

From: <bryanm@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue Apr 05 2011 - 01:33:02 AKDT

On Mon, April 4, 2011 10:36 pm, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 16:19 -0800, bryanm@acsalaska.net wrote:
>> On Thu, March 31, 2011 3:29 pm, Greg Madden wrote:
>> > I am not into Desktop Environments, but do appreciate latest versions of
>> > core applications for my work. Catch 22?
>>
>> Greg, do you actually need Gnome or KDE running to make the
>> applications work? I don't use a desktop environment either,
>> but I can run programs from those projects as long as I have
>> the libraries installed.
>
> I won't attempt to answer for Greg, but the business world has mostly
> moved to the internet. The business world on the internet is designed
> assuming a graphical desktop is available. Business is where the money
> is. He who pays the piper, calls the tune. I think we're stuck with
> graphical desktops.
>
> Yes Bryan, you can avoid the graphical desktop in your world. I can't in
> my world. This doesn't mean I have any desire whatsoever for Windows or
> Mac.

You misunderstand me. I do use a GUI, consisting of X and a window
manager. A "desktop environment" is a separate, optional piece of
software that insinuates itself into the GUI and performs tasks
that some people find useful (apparently. I've never seen the appeal.).

I do, however, have KDE installed (but not running). Since the
libraries are in place, I can run kscd to play CDs, kpat for
solitaire, and I just started KMail to see if I could -- all
without KDE running. I'm missing out on whatever extra features
the "desktop environment" provides, but I get to keep more of
my CPU and RAM resources for doing what I find useful.

If all you care about is the applications, and not the bells and
whistles of KDE or Gnome per se, you can absolutely fly with just
a regular window manager (of your choice), and skip some of the
"desktop environment" bloat.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryanm@acsalaska.net