[aklug] Re: multiple distros coordinate to establish /run directory

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Thu Mar 31 2011 - 14:33:37 AKDT

On 03/31/2011 01:21 PM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Greg Madden wrote:
>
> This is the mess that we're in, and it's accelerating. For people who
> actually give a crap about security and robustness it makes it magnitudes
> harder to maintain that level of compliance. Not to mention that with the
> poorer quality of ancillary software in general you end up having to have
> more scheduled downtime to apply patches with greater frequency. Kind of
> like... Microsoft. Huh. Funny how that works.
>
> You know where to shove your elitist comment, Greg. ;-)

Well, Greg might want to put it in /run, but you, Arthur, might want to
put it in /var/run .

Not that this really has too much bearing on this particular discussion,
but with me running RHEL/CentOS, and all the extra baggage (and yes,
there is a ton of excess baggage that I wish I could get rid of but
cannot thanks to dependencies) my servers still go down WAY less than
the windows boxes here at work. Personal best for a server here is
1027 days nonstop uptime - I built it, it ran, and then I had to move
to another server a couple years later - and that includes weekly
patching via RHEL's patching stuff, which included everything, including
kernels (I didn't reboot, so the newer kernels just sat in orbit around
a central axis.) MySQL ran for at least a year without being restarted
(only requiring that so I could have it listen on more IP addresses than
just a single private IP).

So, while we're on a rollercoaster of doom quite possibly could
terminate into an ocean of gore and flying bodies, at least we'll
require more than just our fingers and toes to count uptime.

--
Adam