[aklug] Re: First pxeboot!

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Mar 24 2011 - 16:14:44 AKDT

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Jason McEachen wrote:

> I've had boxes where I could set all the pxe values (network settings,
> tftp server ip, image) in bios, so no dhcp/bootp service was needed

What hardware was that? Granted, my PXE, BBS docs are over 10 years old,
but I see no mention of support for BIOS derived network configuration.
It's feasible that the NIC vendor themselves could provide support in the
net ROM for that, but that would be vendor/nic-specific support, not part of
the PXE specification itself.

Shoot me some links, if you could. Network conf in the PROM on UNIX boxen
has been done for over 20 years, but I've never seen an Intel box that had
it.

Now, the new EFI stuff I would be surprised if they had something like that.
I haven't played with that stuff yet, though.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die