[aklug] Re: Windows question ... geez, sorry :(

From: Slackwarebox <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Sun Mar 20 2011 - 19:27:40 AKDT

On Mar 20, 2011, at 9:43 PM, bryanm@acsalaska.net wrote:

> On Sat, March 19, 2011 8:50 am, Bruce Hill wrote:
>> I have a customer's Compaq Presario CQ80 with an unusual problem. He said=

>> the kbd sometimes doesn't input all his key presses. After removing a lot=

>> of malware, I could not replicate this. He showed me that by opening his
>> homepage to Facebook, then entering his username and password there was a=

>> problem.
>>=20
>> Using notepad, IE's address bar, MS Word -- there is no kbd error; so it
>> is my opinion that his kbd is fine. He reported logging into his ISP's
>> email interface (Frontier) gave that problem, but does not anymore. I've
>> used my bank's login page and have no problem. It's just with him logging=

>> into Facebook afaict. (Yes, I tried it and it fails for me, also.)
>=20
> Honestly, it sounds like he just doesn't remember his Facebook
> password correctly. Have you ruled that out?
>=20
> --
> Bryan Medsker
> bryanm@acsalaska.net

Thanks, guys.

Yes, he remembers his username and password. The problem is the keyboard inp=
ut is not all output to the field, like keys are stuck or something. I tried=
 inputting it myself, to rule out Matt typing too fast and not pressing keys=
. We can both logon to his Facebook account IF we fix the input errors, but n=
ot typing normally.

I had him login to his ISP's webmail because he said that didn't work prior t=
o me removing the malware. It works okay now. He also had issues inputting t=
ext in some YouTube page, but that also works now. I tried logging in to my b=
ank to check another login script and it worked fine (and, yes, I changed my=
 username and password afterwards in case it's a keylogger, as well as becau=
se I logged in from another person's comp).

I have teched comps for over 15 years, and never seen this particular issue.=
 I suspect a keylogger but don't remember enough about how they work. For th=
e past 8 years I've used Linux and am rusty on the Windows stuff. Was hoping=
 someone would have experience with this.

Though I detest Windows software, I thank God that such poorly coded and pat=
ched junk exists, so that I can make a living fixing folks comps. To my detr=
iment, though, I find myself converting many to Linux; thus loosing repeat b=
usiness. (Think Maytag repairman ad.)

Someone suggested reinstalling. I wrote this list to check if anyone knew th=
is error so that I could FIX the problem, rather than re-installing. Shucks,=
 anyone can do that. But learning the problem and fixing it saves all that r=
e-install, re-patch, etc time. Plus, I'm in life to learn. ;)

Gonna check Verizon's Mobile Broadband USB modem and/or Wireless MiFi 2200 M=
obile Hotspot Linux status tomorrow. Typing on an iPhone is for the birds --=
 not to mention flaky 3G with SimpleMobile. :(

Bruce

Sent from my iPhone