[aklug] Re: Local e-mail accounts for an emergency?

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Wed Feb 23 2011 - 19:53:37 AKST

On 02/23/11 13:48, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> Plus:
> Many of us are on dynamic IPs
> Most of have service w/ blocked ports
>
> The only standard mail port I have available is 465
>
> The only other ports open to me are 443 and 21. There is one other, but
> I don't remember what it is at the moment.
>
> Jim G
>
> On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 19:44 -0900, Jeremy Austin wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com> wrote:
>>> email@ipaddress
>>>
>>> works pretty well.. no dns dependencies.
>>
>> But then you've got to keep a list of IPs to people/computer names. Oh
>> wait =97 that's DNS.
>>
>> It's turtles all the way down.
>>
>> jermudgeon

It seems like you are misunderstanding what I am suggesting. The idea is
that we have one emergency e-mail server on a static IP, running
postfix. Everybody (who is part of this emergency plan) has an account
on this one server. To send e-mail to this server (via SMTP) you don't
need your own static IP address, just an SMTP capable client that knows
the static IP address of the server. To receive e-mail from this server
(via IMAP) you don't need your own static IP address, just an IMAP
capable client that knows the static IP address of the server.

Everyone who has an account on the emergency server, and knows it's IP
address, can communicate with everybody else who has an account on that
server.

We would all only need static IP addresses if we were each running our
own e-mail server. I did mention that as an alternative solution, but
admitted that it's not very realistic, unlike having one emergency
server we all have accounts on, which is quite doable.

--
frigidcode.com
theologa.indicium.us