[aklug] Re: Local e-mail accounts for an emergency?

From: Scott A. Johnson <scott.a.johnson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Feb 23 2011 - 20:50:35 AKST

I could see this emergency plan being of greater need before we got
route diversity to the lower 48, but now there's what - at least five
fiber lines running to the lower 48? ACS and GCI both have two, and
Alascom has at least one or two. We'd have to have multiple lines cut
at the same time, AND the carrier's business continuity routes also
fail (i.e. satellite or a competitor's cable). Frankly if that
happens even if we had a server parked in Alaska not everyone on the
LUG would potentially not be able to reach the mail server due to the
same cut cables.

Now, this does happen. I think it was in 2006 that two cables got cut
at the same time (I think it was the AK Fiber Star now ACS' cable, but
I could be wrong) once along the railroad and the other down in the
Copper Center area that caused route diversity to fail. But even then
the carrier's BCP kicked in and they turned on some peering with their
competition or some satellite circuits or something.

Bottom line, great idea, could be very useful, but lots of work to get
it up and running and significant hurdles to overcome for what is a
low probability event.

Scott

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 19:53, Christopher Howard
<christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> wrote:
> On 02/23/11 13:48, Jim Gribbin wrote:
>> Plus:
>> Many of us are on dynamic IPs
>> Most of have service w/ blocked ports
>>
>> The only standard mail port I have available is 465
>>
>> The only other ports open to me are 443 and 21. There is one other, but
>> I don't remember what it is at the moment.
>>
>> Jim G

>>> But then you've got to keep a list of IPs to people/computer names. Oh
>>> wait =97 that's DNS.
>>>
>>> It's turtles all the way down.
>>>
>>> jermudgeon
>
> It seems like you are misunderstanding what I am suggesting. The idea is
> that we have one emergency e-mail server on a static IP, running
> postfix. Everybody (who is part of this emergency plan) has an account
> on this one server. To send e-mail to this server (via SMTP) you don't
> need your own static IP address, just an SMTP capable client that knows
> the static IP address of the server. To receive e-mail from this server
> (via IMAP) you don't need your own static IP address, just an IMAP
> capable client that knows the static IP address of the server.
>
> Everyone who has an account on the emergency server, and knows it's IP
> address, can communicate with everybody else who has an account on that
> server.
>
> We would all only need static IP addresses if we were each running our
> own e-mail server. I did mention that as an alternative solution, but
> admitted that it's not very realistic, unlike having one emergency
> server we all have accounts on, which is quite doable.
>
> --
> frigidcode.com
> theologa.indicium.us

Scott A. Johnson