[aklug] Re: Upgrading DDR2 RAM

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2011 - 08:57:57 AKST

On 01/09/2011 01:28 AM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> I'm getting into an experiment to convert my main desktop into a tmpfs
> based system, so I'm going to need a major RAM upgrade. Right now my
> motherboard has 4 slots with 4 sticks of the following:
>
> SAMSUNG 512 MB 1RX8 PC2 - R200U - 444 - 12- D3
>
> For 2G of RAM total. I was hoping to upgrade to an 8G system by buying
> two pairs of 2x2GB, like so:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/PNY-MD4096KD2-800-Channel-5-5-5-15-PC2-6400/dp/B001ISJ964/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294567986&sr=8-2
>
> Can I do that? Does having a motherboard with DDR2 RAM in it mean you
> can take any DDR2 RAM?
>
> (Side note: I'll probably buy anything I need of Amazon. But if anyone
> is looking to get rid of RAM like this at a decent price I'm open-minded.)

Check out flashybrid for debian/ubuntu. You can configure it in such a way that
everything is copied off to ram on boot and your storage drive is remounted read only.
When you want to make persistent changes just run fh-sync. I wrote my own parallel to
this called bulletdebian a long time ago however the upkeep wasn't worth it otherwise I'd
totally tote it right now.

- Shane