[aklug] Re: UAF-ARSC falling off the map?

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 10:20:58 AKST

On Tuesday 21 December 2010, Arthur Corliss elucidated thus:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > I don't know much about their status. Some senators (not just
> > Alaska's) are trying to insert language to keep the DoD from
> > shutting down some of its projects.
> >
> > But as to "super computers," when you can throw a few Nvidia cards
> > in a system, and smoke your university's 512 core super computer by
> > nearly 4 times, using 1/300 of the electricity...the whole concept
> > of "super computer" becomes kind of moot. Or, spin up a few
> > hundred "cloud" systems for a few hours, then shut it all down, and
> > only pay for time used.
> >
> > Super computers may still have their place, but the need for them
> > is becoming more and more niche.
>
> They more than have their place. The whole CUDA/GPU exercise is only
> applicable to a relatively small problem domain. Yes, it is
> extremely efficient for what it does, but it's all the *other* stuff
> that a super computer is capable of that makes them so valuable.

True, I forget that CUDA is pretty niche itself.

> If anything, my money's on computers at some point coming with an
> array of FPGAs standard.

That's going to be spiffy!

> BTW, x86 is still an extremely crappy architecture. If performance
> and scalability were the only criteria they'd never even be looked
> at. It's the price point of commoditized hardware that's driving any
> interest there at all.

Oh, no doubts there. I really wish PowerPC or MIPS or SPARC had taken
off, but (mostly) thanks to the Windows ecosystems, they never got good
traction.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK