[aklug] Re: UAF-ARSC falling off the map?

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 10:53:37 AKST

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:

> Oh, no doubts there. I really wish PowerPC or MIPS or SPARC had taken
> off, but (mostly) thanks to the Windows ecosystems, they never got good
> traction.

As much as I despise the Itanium chip what (formerly) SGI did with the Altix
is pretty impressive. Of course, most of it was derived from MIPS-based
Origin systems, which kicked ass. NUMA-architecture, etc. I think Edwards
AFB has one with 4096 processors, a complete monster for just about anything
you can think to throw at it.

SGI is the new DEC. Both companies had absolutely brilliant technologies,
but couldn't market or price them well enough for survival. Broke my heart.
Again. <sniff>

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die