[aklug] Re: U.S. military strong-arming IT industry on IPv6

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 09:55:05 AKST

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Mike Tibor wrote:

> Heck, something needs to drive it. IPv6 has stagnated for years. The IT
> industry isn't going to migrate based on altruistic motives--it's always
> been based on when it would become financially beneficial to do so. That
> shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone. Business is always driven by
> the bottom line. Those that aren't go out of business--it's that simple.
>
> Realistically, it only appears that this is the DoD telling their vendors
> that if they market products using IPv6, then they'd better use it at some
> level. This is NOT the DoD forcing the entire IT industry to become IPv6,
> no matter what the title of the article is. It may develop to that over
> time, but that's completely different.
>
> Even if IPv6 becomes prevelant or even mandatory on DoD networks, that
> certainly doesn't spell the demise of IPv4 on the commercial side.

Amen. As much as I think the IETF and Arin made some boneheaded decisions
in how to manage it, it does have some significant improvements. Network
performance alone (particularly on the backbones) is a huge reason to adopt
it.

Linux is ready for it. I've been running it for several months publically
via HE's tunneled service (http://ipv6.he.net) just to get some practical
hands-on. The service is free, and all you need is a static IP. I highly
recommend it for anyone wanting to kick the tires.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die