[aklug] Re: yet another rant: ACS - 1 for 3, better than was expecting, actually

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Mon Dec 06 2010 - 22:15:31 AKST

On 12/6/10 9:09 PM, Lee wrote:
> So a bit of a followup.
>
> Turns out the hit in my bandwidth may be the wire or the receptacle in my house.

> If I plug the DSL modem directly into the demarc, speedtest shows the connection works
> as advertised. If I use the house wire, there's 150-250K hit. And it's repeatable.

> And then prep to spend a bit of time maybe rescrewing down the wires in the demarc and
> receptacles. Maybe use 'real' phone wire (the 4/22 stuff) instead of cat5? Although
> that's sure counterintuitive. Any other thoughts anyone?

Depending on how your demarc is wired and where your modem is located,
you may be able to cable directly from the demarc to the telco side of
your DSL modem and then hang the rest of the POTS lines off the phone
side. Failing that, I'd set up a speed test and then go out to the
demarc and lift one set of your house wiring off the terminals at a
time, rinse and repeat until you find the culprit.

--
Tom